This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Tax implication on getting money from abroad

SaraMB
Tax implication on getting money from abroad

Postby SaraMB » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:41 pm

Hello experts,

I have looked at the forum and see some topics on this but I understand the rules are different for UK residency and citizenship so sorry for asking it again, appreciate your help.

I live in the UK and am UK citizen. My father (who is Indian citizen) wants to send money (through foreign exchange using bank) to me. I am worried about any tax implications on me due to this. Is there any limit on the gift I can receive (currently he is planning to gift me around £20,000). Is there any limit in a specific financial year? Do I need to declare it somewhere (I am not self employed) so my employer sends all details to HMRC for tax purpose.

I am full time employee in the UK and pay income tax here. Thanks.

JRG

Re: Tax implication on getting money from abroad

Postby JRG » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:32 pm

I think the differing rules between UK residency and UK citizenship refer to earned income (e.g. salary) and where it's paid. Perhaps other contributors could clarify this for you.

For a gift of money there is no tax implication for the recipient.
However, if you deposit the money in an interest bearing account (e.g. ordinary savings account), you would be liable to pay income tax on any interest earned over and above the Savings Allowance applicable to yourself.

Return to “General”