This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Tax liability on gifts to family

derekpeters
Tax liability on gifts to family

Postby derekpeters » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:08 pm

My father now lives in a care home as a self funder, I have joint power of attorney with my sister to manage his finances. He has income from pension and benefits of £1900 per month after taxes, which is not quite enough to cover all his care fees and other expenses, so his capital of some £230,000 after the sale of his house is dwindling by about £1000 each month. He pays £150 each month into an "executor" account in the names of my sister and me as joint executors of his estate to cover funeral costs, and would now like to make a similar payment to my children, his grand children, to help them with the child care costs they are now facing. Are any of these payments subject to any kind of tax? Does IHT apply tomy father as the donor? Do I need to show the £150 monthly on my annual tax return? Would my daughters need to declare any cash given to them as regular contributions to their living expenses?

pawncob

Re: Tax liability on gifts to family

Postby pawncob » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:30 am

If his capital is £230k it's well below the iHT threshold, so whatever he/you do has no IHT/Income Tax consequences and you don't need to declare anything.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

derekpeters

Re: Tax liability on gifts to family

Postby derekpeters » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:12 pm

Thank you, that's what I thought but it's good to have a definitive answer to a specific question; faq pages etc are so often so vague and generalised.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”