This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Tax on Backpay

MRobbins
Tax on Backpay

Postby MRobbins » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:18 pm

Hi all,

Apologies if this is in the wrong area/section of the forum, relatively new to this so please forgive my (possible) ignorance.

I have recently (1st Feb 2017) had a term time only permanent post which ran from September - September "upgraded" to a full time post. I have been sent an amount from my HR department as I am owed monies from Sep2016 - Feb 2017. My question is two - fold. 1. Is this back pay figure liable to tax? 2. If so, is it taxable with my monthly salary or as a separate payment - e.g. say my salary is £3000 a month, and the back pay amount £1000, do i pay tax on the total £4000 sum. Or, do i pay individual tax on my salary (£3000) and then an individual tax on my back pay amount (£1000). Note figures are not specific to my job or back pay amount.

Any assistance/advice/information on this would be greatly welcomed and much appreciated.

AmanSood

Re: Tax on Backpay

Postby AmanSood » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:48 am

The £1,000 backpay is still salary and is taxable via the payroll as normal subject to PAYE/NIC withholding. No personal income tax to pay via your self assessment tax return for example..
Advising on UK employment, expatriate and personal taxes
aman.sood@e-taxconsulting.com.
+44 (0) 207 846 0155

SteLacca

Re: Tax on Backpay

Postby SteLacca » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:25 pm

It isn't treated separately from your usual salary, but is simply taxed with your usual salary in the period that it's paid. If your usual salary is £3,000 and you receive £1,000 backpay, it is simply £4,000 in that month.

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”