This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Tax Payable on Matured Investment Bond

Samgeo
Tax Payable on Matured Investment Bond

Postby Samgeo » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:29 am

Hi,

Background: I now live in Australia, I was born here, however was married to a Brit and became an Aus/Brit a number of years ago. I worked and paid taxes in the UK for many years and whilst moving back home a number of years ago I still have children that live in the UK.

I invested in an Investment Bond back in approximately 2005 with £125,000, it is now valued at approximately £245,000. The investment is held with AVIA, this use to be Norwich and whilst the investment is now administered in Dublin it was also registered or something on Jersey, from what I recall.

Key thing is I wish to bring the funds to Australia and I do not know what the tax position might be, secondly can I transfer that much over here? I do pay taxes in Australia on other UK based income?

Kind regards
Samgeo :?

maths

Re: Tax Payable on Matured Investment Bond

Postby maths » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:56 pm

Assuming you are non-UK resident when the bond matures and you do not intend to reacquire UK residency within 5 years of leaving the UK then any gain on the bond is
not subject to UK income tax.

I assume the bond was issued by a non-UK based life office?

The question is therefore as an Aussie resident whether Aussie tax is payable on any gain. I suspect there will be a liability. Whether this may be reduced as ownership subsisted whilst non Aussie resident and/or whether
the bond is revalued on becoming Aussie resident is a matter for a local adviser.

Return to “Savings & Investments, Pensions & Retirement”