This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Tax relief on Buy-To-Let

GSScotland
Tax relief on Buy-To-Let

Postby GSScotland » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:21 am

Looking to clarify HMRC position in respect of using a home re-mortgage (which is cheaper than a BTL) to fund a buy to let and whether HMRC will then allow me to claim interest relief on this? Is it only claimable when the mortgage is on the specific BTL property or another source of finance which does incur interest payments?

section 44

Re: Tax relief on Buy-To-Let

Postby section 44 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:09 am

Tax relief (i.e. a deduction in computing letting business profits) is being phased out for individuals.

The purpose of the loan, rather than how it is secured, is the key point.

LozaACCS

Postby LozaACCS » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:09 pm

There are no plans to phase out relief for interest paid, it will in future be restricted to the standard rate, the changes will be phased in from 06/04/17.
The relief will be given as a tax reducer rather than as a deduction from profits.
I agree that the purpose of the loan is the criteria to establish whether the interest is deductible, in this case I believe it would.

section 44

Postby section 44 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:01 am

no plans to phase out relief for interest paid
rather than as a deduction from profits
?

Return to “Property Taxation”