This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Tenants in Common Form 17 needed?

NickPrice
Tenants in Common Form 17 needed?

Postby NickPrice » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:56 am

Dear all,

1. I bought a new rental property with my wife. We are tenants in common with unequal shares (me 1%, her 99%). This was stipulated as we bought the property. Do we need to submit a Form 17?

2. We remortgaged an existing property, now becoming tenants in common with unequal shares (same as above). Do we need to submit a Form 17?

We have previously used a Form 17 when Joint Tenants and using a trust deed we assigned unequal beneficial interest. When now being tenants in common, I was hoping the unequal shares as declared as purchase/remortgage would be evident and no Form 17 might be needed, but I am happy to be corrected.

section 44

Re: Tenants in Common Form 17 needed?

Postby section 44 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:31 am

Do we need to submit a Form 17?
No. You will be taxed as if the rent is shared 50:50. If you want to be taxed on the basis that the rent is shared 1:99 then you would need to file form 17.

Return to “Property Taxation”