This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

the 3 YEAR RULE concerning owning 2 houses

bazil

Postby bazil » Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:55 pm

If I have owned a house 20 years and wish to buy another and maybe move into it or sell it.
What is the so called "3 year rule" ? and how is it best used to my advantage.

accountant@uktaxshop

Postby accountant@uktaxshop » Sat Jul 12, 2003 1:22 pm

Bazil,

So long as you havenÂ’t rented this house out during the period there should be no CGT to pay on the sale.

The "3 year rule" mentioned on this board in connection with property sales, simply means that once a house has been your main residence, the final 3 years are treated as if it was your main residence, even if this wasnÂ’t actually the case.

So in your circumstances (assuming you had the funds) you could buy another house, let your current house for up to 3 years, and still pay no CGT on its sale. Of course you would be liable for icome taxes on your rental income.

I hope this is of use to you.

Regards

James Smith
Chartered Accountant
www.uktaxshop.co.uk
01284 764436

bazil

Postby bazil » Sun Jul 13, 2003 3:30 am

Thanks for your reply,

In other words, I can buy another house as long as I sell my first house within 3 years, I am in the clear of capital gains,

Is the 3 years from registed ownership to sale contract date, I suppose someone pulling out of a sale affects this ?

I may not wish to rent the first house out emmidiatly or at all,does this make any difference?

I assume, council tax and bills would be still in my name although not living in my origional house, but as it is still owned by me I would be fully resposibe for these.?

Thanks for any help on this.

Return to “Property Taxation”