This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Strange warning message in online self-assessment calculation

EF101
Strange warning message in online self-assessment calculation

Postby EF101 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:48 pm

Something strange that I have never seen before and wondered if I should be concerned.

I am submitting my wife's online self-assessment return. She does not work but has substantial investment income in the form if interest paid by UK banks with tax deducted at source. She does not have, and has never in recent memory had, any other sources of income.

Everything looks fine and ready to submit, but when I check the detailed tax calculation there is a red warning message with a triangle containing an exclamation mark: "Warning: The level of investment income declared appears to be low in comparison to "Total income received". Ensure that all income arising in the year, including dividends and interest, is included in the Return."

Given that the investment income is the only income declared, this message makes no sense, Is it something that I should be concerned about ??

nialled

Re: Strange warning message in online self-assessment calculation

Postby nialled » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:40 pm

I have just noticed this as well. I too am doing my wife's tax return. She has a good income but no investments other than those in ISAs and receives no interest apart from the minimal amount arising from our joint savings account. This has been the case for several years now and this year's return is not materially any different from previous years.
When I view the calculation there is the red triangle with an exclamation mark inside and the same message. I am guessing that HMRC has put some sort of rule into the tax return system that says someone who has a significant earned income will also have significant investments and be earning income from them (please note, that is only a guess on my part based on what the message says). Presumably they have also decided that it applies the other way round but not bothered to update the message generated.
Personally, although I can sort of see the thinking behind the rule, I really think they should put a bit more effort into the messages.
If anyone does actually know whether this message means we are going to get 'a visit' from HMRC or just more information about it, I would be grateful to find out

JRG

Postby JRG » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:49 pm

I found this on the Taxation.co.uk website:

Online messages will alert taxpayers to mistakes as they complete their SA returns using HMRC’s software.

HMRC has identified 21 of the most common mistakes made in online self-assessment returns and created three types of messages to help pre-empt and reduce them:
• Permanent messages will be displayed above the relevant question to provide taxpayers with more information before they complete that section.
• Warning messages will appear if the taxpayer has entered something that may be incorrect, for example if they have made an entry in two boxes that seem inconsistent.
The taxpayer can ignore and bypass the message.
• Error messages will appear if the taxpayer has entered something which is clearly incorrect because of other information included or excluded in the return. The taxpayer will have to amend the entry before they can submit the online form.

In its agent blog, HMRC says the new messages will be tested from now until the end of the financial year. There will be a trial and control group split so not all taxpayers will see the new messages. Advisers who file for multiple clients using HMRC software may not always see the messages either.

HMRC will evaluate the trial and the results will shape its new digital services

nialled

Postby nialled » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:42 pm

Thanks JRG. At least that explains why the message has appeared when it didn't in the past although I am still not clear whether it means that the Return will be flagged for greater scrutiny.

For my part, even though my wife's Return has been filled out honestly and accurately, it is still quite worrying when a message like that appears (I think it is a bit like the feeling I get if I see a police car when I am driving).

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:55 pm

It's yet more of the "BB really is watching you" attitude from HMRC.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Return to “Income Tax”