This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Jersey Marginal Relief

Digger65
Jersey Marginal Relief

Postby Digger65 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:16 am

Hi have an interview for a job in Jersey next week and wanted to check a few facts
Salary will be around 23K with my partners PT income adding another 7K (she works online and can work from anywhere)
we have one child aged 10
I have been informed we may qualify for "Marginal Relief"
my rudimentary calculations come up with the following:
married person relief £22800
lower child allowance £3000
Wife's earned income allowance £4500
however we are not actually married (but will be tying the knot v shortly) does this make a difference if we are common law and not legally partnered?
am i right in thinking that we may actually not pay any income tax based on these figures or have i missed something obvious?
I think anything over this amount of combined wage and we pay at a higher rate of 27%
Initially i was not aware of this relief and was discounting the job offer as i could not see the wages meeting the high cost of living especially where rents are concerned but without the burden of income tax it may well be possible
We do own property in Uk and plan to rent out if i am offered the job and relocate whether that has a bearing on matters
Also my partner is French National
many thanks in adv
D

Return to “Income Tax”