This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Gifts (Money & Property) - See Scenario

Bhups
Gifts (Money & Property) - See Scenario

Postby Bhups » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:10 pm

Hello,

I would like Tax advice on the following scenario.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Person A = My mother,
Persons B = 3 siblings
Persons C = Myself and spouse

Person A owns a property in her name (which was previously in joint names with her husband).
Persons C wishes to buy this property while Person A still lives in it and holds a 20% share in it.
Person A wishes to gift 80% of the property to Persons C and hold the 20% share as joint names.
Person A will leave the rest of the share as a Will in the name of Persons C.

The Property has a mortgage, which is being paid by Persons B and C equally.
Person A wants the property to be split equally 5 ways (between Persons A, B and C).
The mortgage will be taken on by Persons C and its amount will be deducted from Persons B and C share of the property.
E.g. Property = £750000
Total Share of Persons B and C = £600,000
Mortgage = £60,000
Total Share of Persons B and C after deducting mortgage = £540,000

Persons C is planning to pay Persons B on a monthly basis (over a period of approx 15 years) around £700 each.

Shared expenses (costs of living) between Persons C per month comes to approx £1,500 (£750 each).

Persons C jointly will have sufficient money from taxed income left over after costs of living is deducted, to pay Persons B each month.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

So, my questions are:

1. Am I correcting in thinking that Persons B will not be liable for inheritance tax on payments made from Persons C?
2a. Can Person A gift a large percentage of the property to Persons C, while still living in it without Persons A or C being liable for IHT?
2b. If Person A cannot gift a large percentage of the property due to still living in it and sharing at least 40% of the property (which includes kitchen, living room, toilet/bathroom and bedroom), then Person A can pay a percentage (I guess 80%) of the full market rent (normally at £87 per week).
2c. If Person A will have to pay a percentage of the rent, then can Persons C gift this money to Person A, just for it to come back as rent to Persons C?.
3. Will Persons C be liable for IHT on the percentage of the property under Person A if she left it as a Gift in her Will to Persons C?

Any other IHT or other tax advise will be great.

Thank you,

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”