This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Can a Trust be a beneficiary?

marc02
Can a Trust be a beneficiary?

Postby marc02 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:16 pm

Can a Trust gift to another trust, or must the assets pass through a real person?

Lee Young

Re: Can a Trust be a beneficiary?

Postby Lee Young » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:12 pm

Assets can be transferred from one trust to another, though there are often limitations on when and how this can happen in the "donating" trust.
Lee Young
Solicitor, Chartered Tax Adviser and Trust and Estate Practitioner

Partner, Frettens LLP
lyoung@frettens.co.uk
01202 491701

marc02

Postby marc02 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:34 pm

Thanks Lee.

So if a Trust approaching the 10 year charge holds assets and the Trustees want to retain control of those assets, but keeping the assets in Trust will cause a periodic charge, could the Trustees create a new Trust and gift the assets to that new Trust and then the 10 year clock starts again? Also the assets never enter a persons estate and so avoids the IHT issues with a gift. Is this right?

Would there be an entry charge or not? Or is this dependant on whether the transfer / gift to the new trust was within the NRB?

maths

Postby maths » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:31 pm

Is this right?
No.

An anti-avoidance provision provides that where property is transferred from one relevant property trust to another such trust it is treated as remaining in the former trust ie 10 year charge is not avoided.

LozaACCS

Postby LozaACCS » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:50 pm

I thought I might get much needed CPD from this post, however Maths beat me to it, i was going to quote S81 IHTA 1984 and IHTM 42229.

maths

Postby maths » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:02 pm

It's a tough world!!

But you should get brownie points for the legislative and HMRC references !!

marc02

Postby marc02 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:08 am

Thank you, both!

marc02

Postby marc02 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:37 pm

Hi both,

I think my last question on this..., where there is no liability, because the Trust has made no income and only holds assets which are not liable either by exemption or below NRB...., where these asset(s) are gifted to a new Trust I understand from your reply that the tax liability would carry over to the new Trust ie: but what about the period? Eg: if the old Trust had 80 year period and 21 year accumulation period, would the assets gifted into a new Trust, need to be vested by counting 80 years from the date of the settling Trust? Also the accumulation period continue from the date of the settling Trust?

Thanks

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”