This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT - Spousal Transfer - Treatment of Historic Reinvested Dividends

Painter79
CGT - Spousal Transfer - Treatment of Historic Reinvested Dividends

Postby Painter79 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:19 pm

I recently moved some Vanguard LifeStrategy accumulation units from my name to my wife's

We plan to sell some of these to realise a gain for this tax year, in her name.

The units have accrued dividends (reinvested) which are notionally payable* once each May when I was the owner.

For the purposes of CGT calculation, does the nil rate transfer from me to her mean that the allowable costs are carried across also? I have treated dividend payments as allowable cost when disposing in my own name previously, as the dividend is already subject to tax and does not fall under CGT.

[*Investment is a blend of index funds, dividends accrue near daily from large number of shares. The annual statement lists one dividend payment for the overall fund]

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”