This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

UK NZ Dta

POH
UK NZ Dta

Postby POH » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:06 pm

Hi
I moved from UK to NZ (Aug 2015).

For tax yr 15-16 I was employed in UK for 5 months, and NZ for 7 months, making me an NZ tax resident for the year.

On completion of filing UK takes for 15/16 I then filed an IR3 in order that my UK income for the 5 months is open to claim for NZ tax. Obviously I declared to the NZ IRD the tax which I had paid in the UK to allow it to be given as credit under the DTA.

When giving my tax paid in the UK, I did not include any National Insurance paid. My question is "was I correct in not including NI as paid tax". Obviously if I did include NI I would be able to claim a higher credit and become less liable for NZ tax.

Thanks

Peter

AmanSood

Re: UK NZ Dta

Postby AmanSood » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:01 pm

You can't get a credit for UK NIC paid and also the credit for the UK taxes would be capped at the NZ tax rate. You may also have overpaid UK tax if you left the UK part way through the 2015/16 tax year so may be due a refund from HMRC.
Advising on UK employment, expatriate and personal taxes
aman.sood@e-taxconsulting.com.
+44 (0) 207 846 0155

maths

Re: UK NZ Dta

Postby maths » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:07 pm

For 15/16 it seems you will fall to be UK resident for the whole of the tax year.
You say you will also be NZ resident for the same tax year.

It is then necessary to resolve this dual residence under the UK/NZ DTA.

Resolution in favour of UK would mean that it is to the UK that you would need to look for DTA relief.
Resolution in favour of NZ would mean that it is to NZ that you would need to look for DTA relief.

Return to “International Tax”