This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

IHT, Partnership valuations and reliefs

JJH1969
IHT, Partnership valuations and reliefs

Postby JJH1969 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:05 pm

Unfortunately my Dad recently passed away without a will and still in a partnership. I have to value the partnership at date of death and was planning on using the value of his capital account - will this suffice? He also held land separately on which his partnership operated. Can agricultural relief be claimed on this land or just 50% BPR?

bip

Re: IHT, Partnership valuations and reliefs

Postby bip » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:11 pm

First of all, I would recommend professional help where there is a partnership and he died intestate.
Partnership agreements usually include clauses with regard to the deaths of partners and there are usually time limits before a default disposal is made.
These time limits can be shortly after death and can create other CGT tax problems if not dealt with via a partnership variation.

Whether you can use the capital value will depend on how the accounts have been put together. Any assets must include there current value and a lot of partnership accounts just use cost, which is not sufficient.

If the land is farmland farmed by the partnership, then APR is likely to apply as well.

I work with farming partnership estates everyday and they are complex claims which are reviewed in detail by HMRC, so I would urge you to seek professional guidance.

JJH1969

Postby JJH1969 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:46 pm

Thank you for the reply. There is no partnership agreement and the land isn't farmed it is horticultural

AnthonyR

Postby AnthonyR » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:22 pm

On that basis I would second bip's suggestion of getting professional help as without a partnership agreement the partnership is dissolved on the death of any partner (s33 Partnership Act 1890), which could have serious implications on the other partner(s).
Anthony Rogers LLB CTA TEP
Fusion Partners LLP
anthony@fusionpartners.co.uk

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”