This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Service charge accounts- lease premium received

practiceperson
Service charge accounts- lease premium received

Postby practiceperson » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:39 pm

I am preparing a set of service charge accounts. In line with Tech 3/11 I do a set of service charge accounts and then a separate dormant set of accounts, the latter of which is submitted to companies house.
In the service charge bank account in the year I am doing, they received a lease premium of £7k. Is this subject to corporation tax or not? Is it subject to CGT? The residents might get a shock when they have to pay £1400.
Usually there is no CT unless bank interest is at such a level to result in the CT liability being more than £100. This is the first time I have come across the receipt of a lease premium into the service charge bank. The lease was for 999 years.
Thanks in advance

maths

Re: Service charge accounts- lease premium received

Postby maths » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:46 pm

A lease premium arises on the grant of a lease out of a freehold or superior lease payable by the tenant to the landlord.

Any tax liability is thus that of the landlord.

The fact that the premium monies appear to have been deposited into the service charge bank account I would suggest is irrelevant to the above.

bd6759

Re: Service charge accounts- lease premium received

Postby bd6759 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:37 pm

Unless the company is the freeholder... ?

Return to “Company Taxation”