This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Loss of personal Allowance

spiker
Loss of personal Allowance

Postby spiker » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:39 am

Hi all,
A bit of a complicated one here.

For tax year 16/17 my salary was £86k, however I received a one off payment of £62k on top of this.
Therefore total income for the year was £148k, this causes me to lose my personal allowance and therefore i owe back 40% (over 4k).

I want to donate £6000 to a charity.
How much extra would I have to add to my pension fund to bring my taxable earnings back down to 100k and therefore not lose the personal allowance?

Lambs

Re: Loss of personal Allowance

Postby Lambs » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:20 pm

S,

I assume that the £6,000 charitable donation will rank for Gift Aid, and will therefore 'count' as a donation of £7,500 for tax purposes (having been "grossed up" by 5/4 to represent the Basic Rate tax deducted at source).

You will then need a further £32,400 pension contribution (again, this is the net amount you would need to pay out of your bank account, but would "count" as a payment of £40,500) to get the full amount of your PA back in 2016/17.

You can fiddle around with the figures in our calculator at

http://taxationweb.azurewebsites.net/Pe ... Calculator?

which provides for the various adjustments you might want to make.

Kind regards,

Lambs

Lambs

Postby Lambs » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:22 pm

ps - you won't need your "tax deducted" figure from your payslips in order to check the Personal Allowance position but, when you do have it, if you re-run the calculation, then you should get an idea of any repayment due, etc.

Lambs

spiker

Postby spiker » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:32 pm

Thanks.
Don't fancy paying 32k into my pension fund. I presume there are no other alternatives other than 'gift aid' and 'pension' contributions?

I might just have to take the hit on the £4000. I can probably make the £4000 back in a year by investing the 32k

Return to “Income Tax”