This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Tax for minor

meze
Tax for minor

Postby meze » Wed May 17, 2017 10:37 am

Hi

I wonder if anyone can help. My 9 year old daughter has £100k in a bank account. She was left his money as part of an inheritance. The bank account that the money is in is a trust bank account and earning 0% interest. I want to invest this money into a buy to let property for my daughter. What is the best way of doing this and how will the buy to let income and CGT be taxed.

Any advice would be great.

Thx
Max

pawncob

Re: Tax for minor

Postby pawncob » Wed May 17, 2017 10:38 am

The income is hers and she'll pay any tax due after personal allowances etc. Ditto CGT.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

maths

Re: Tax for minor

Postby maths » Wed May 17, 2017 2:40 pm

The trustee of the bank account presumably holds the account on a bare trust for the child with no explicit trust deed setting out the precise nature of the trust

As trustee it's important to recognise that the monies in the account belong to the child and should those monies generate any income (eg rental income following the purchase of a buy to let) such income also belongs to the child. It is not open to the trustee to "pocket" any of such income or indeed any part of the monies in the bank account.

I also agree with pawncob.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”