This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Change of accounting reference date from 5 April to 31 March

Dowland
Change of accounting reference date from 5 April to 31 March

Postby Dowland » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:47 am

I act for a number of sole traders whose businesses are extremely small. When I inherited these clients from another practitioner they all had 5 April year ends.
Given the demands of MTD and quarterly reporting and having seen various suggestions (ICAEW and others I think) that it is possible to delay by 12 months these sort of clients’ entry into the quarterly reporting regime by changing their accounting reference date from 5 April to 31 March I thought this may be a sensible approach for these clients.
I am dealing with the first of these clients’ tax return and wanted to seek members’ views on how this should be shown on the Self Employment pages (SEF).
I am aware that HMRC treat 31 March, or any date up to an including 4 April as if it were 5 April (S209 ITTOIA 2005) and thus there will be no overlap profit etc (S220(5) ITTOIA 2005).
When looking at SEF 1 I realise that I need to show 31 March 2017 in Box 9 and put an “X” in Box 11.
Do I use a date of 1 April 2016 in Box 66 on SEF4 or do I use 6 April 2016 given my comments in my third paragraph above?
If I use 1 April 2016 does this mean that I should be using 5/365 days of the profit for the year ended 5 April 2016? If I do, then I end up with this amount as being overlap profit but my understanding was that if you used a 31 March year end then you would not have any overlap profit.
Also, for capital allowances purposes do I need to restrict any AIA or WDA claim to 360/365 days to reflect the fact that my accounting period is not a full year or can I just use a full year’s figures?
Do I need to include any other figures on the SEF pages to reflect the change?
I have read an earlier post on this topic in May 2017 which refers to HS222 but this does not seem to answer the above questions specifically so thought I would try and obtain a definitive answer.

Return to “Income Tax”