This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT on 2nd Property

hunter46
CGT on 2nd Property

Postby hunter46 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:55 pm

We own 2 properties. Property A was purchased by my future wife in June 1987 for £70K . It was her main principal residence. In 2002 I purchased a half share for £60K

In 2003/05 we built a new house in the back garden of property A at a cost of £150K +

This house, property B, became our main principal residence from Sept 2005 until the present day, it will be sold in Sept 2017 for £475K

Property A had ongoing renovations from 2007 when it was rented as a holiday let for part of the time and tenanted at other times.

The cost of the renovations was £50K.The value of property A now is £325K

We assume that Property B, as the main principal residence, is exempt CGT, but Property A would be liable for CGT if sold

My question is, how much would the CGT be on property A if it was sold for £325K

a) for my wife and
b) for me , as we lived in property A for very different lengths of time. My wife for 18 years and myself for just 3 years

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”