This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Sale of house

Yiannis17
Sale of house

Postby Yiannis17 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:13 pm

Hello

I have a situation whereby someone has become non UK resident from last year and living in the Middle East. He has just been gifted a house of which he now wants to sell. If he sells this house, is the a capital gains tax implication both being resident in the Middle East and if he were to return to the UK then sells it.

Thank you

maths

Re: Sale of house

Postby maths » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:16 pm

As a non-resident the disposal of a UK dwelling precipitates a non-resident CGT charge on any gain made. The rates are 18%/28% depending upon the marginal rate of income tax in the tax year. Tight deadlines apply to reporting the gain and the payment of any CGT charge. CGT may apply in the country of residence unless (as appears to be the case) no local taxes apply.

Rates of 18%/28% also apply to a disposal whilst UK resident but with less onerous reporting and payment conditions.

Yiannis17

Postby Yiannis17 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:06 am

Sorry what i didn't make clear after reading my post is that the house is based in the middle east. So whilst this chap has been out there he has been lucky enough to be gifted this house. So he wants to sell it and take the proceeds and return back here.

darthblingbling

Postby darthblingbling » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:44 am

He would likely be considered a temporary non resident, but if the asset was obtained during the period of non residency it should not be taxable under the non residency rules.

HOWEVER, if he sells as a UK resident, he will be liable to CGT as normal. So my advice is sell while a non resident and get some professional tax advice to ensure that he is definately a non tax resident or eligible for split year treatment; never assume you can simply return to the UK the day after the sale as we've had some clients do in the past!

Yiannis17

Postby Yiannis17 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:54 pm

Thank you for your response. Assuming he become UK resident again, what would be the base cost of the house. What it not be the value when it is gifted to him?

darthblingbling

Postby darthblingbling » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:06 pm

Likely market value at the time of gift

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”