Transfer of allowances to spouse

Postby Grumplin on Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:48 am

According to a recent newspaper article - it is possible to transfer the tax allowance of a non-working wife to her husband. Could you please advise whether this is correct and if so, can the allowance transfer be backdated?
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:46 pm

Postby Peter D on Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:07 am

Many years ago. But this is not available now it went with the married persons allowance. Where did you read that and in what context. Regards Peter
Peter D
Posts: 10106
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:37 pm

Postby JS123 on Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:03 pm

A claim can be made if married couple's allowance is due because one party was born before 6 April 1935. This also applies to civil partnerships, and to cases where one spouse is claiming not married couple's allowance but blind person's allowance.

It is a question of relative incomes, not whether a wife does not work and a husband does. If the article was couched in those terms, it was most misleading, especially given the age requirement (one spouse needing to be over 73 now).

This link and thereabouts may help, although the guidance is quite tortuous:
Posts: 202
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:05 pm

Return to Income Tax

Dorifor Internet Marketing Dorifor Tax Group - our portfolio of tax sites:

UK's largest independent tax portal All the tax books on one site global tax seminars, conferences and other events Global tax jobs portal List of UK recruitment agencies and employers