This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Transferring properties within family

jennifer123
Transferring properties within family

Postby jennifer123 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:02 am

I currently own a flat in Central London for which my parents gifted me the money to purchase approx 8 years ago. I am the only person on the deeds and have lived here throughout that time.

Earlier this year my parents gifted me more money to purchase another house which will now become my primary residence. In order to even up the gifts from my parents I would like to give 40% of the flat to my sister.

1. Am I correct in thinking that I can add her to the deeds of my current flat without incurring stamp duty?
2. Are there any disadvantages to the adding of her to the deeds (I realise it will mean we both have to pay the increased stamp duty on any further property purchases).

Finally we will then be renting out the flat. Initially we will rent it to a cousin for mates rates but eventually it is likely to become a commercially let flat. Does this affect any of the above?

Many thanks,

Jennifer

Return to “Property Taxation”