This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Transferring rental income to spouse although not legal owner of the property.

bellmt1
Transferring rental income to spouse although not legal owner of the property.

Postby bellmt1 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:34 pm

I am a 40% taxpayer and am the sole owner of 2 buy to let properties. My husband is retired and not a higher rate tax payer. Can I transfer rental income to him, even though he has never been an owner of either of the properties.

maths

Re: Transferring rental income to spouse although not legal owner of the property.

Postby maths » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:02 pm

You will need to transfer a beneficial interest to him in respect of which he will then be entitled to the rental income attributable to such an interest.

In essence you simply need to execute a declaration of trust as to say 100% husband and 0% you (or whatever other %s you choose).

Husband does not need to become part of the legal title.

Care is needed if the properties are mortgaged.

bellmt1

Re: Transferring rental income to spouse although not legal owner of the property.

Postby bellmt1 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:42 pm

Hi thanks for the reply that helps a lot. Both properties are mortgaged - what do I need to watch out for?

maths

Postby maths » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:27 pm

An SDLT charge may arise where the beneficial interest you transfer to your wife is subject to mortgage (which it is) unless it is made clear that wife is not assuming any such liability.

She is unlikely to get an interest deduction for tax purposes against the rental income.

Return to “Property Taxation”