This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Uk inheritance for british indian resident

Akshiv1uk
Uk inheritance for british indian resident

Postby Akshiv1uk » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:37 pm

My british indian father died in the UK and my sister, my mother and I are the only beneficiaries to his estate through intestacy.
My mother has relinquished her share and the estate had been divided between my sister and I, after the grant of probate. My sister was the executor and as my dad died intestate inheritance tax was not liable. My problem is I am a british citizen but a resident of India. I cannot hold an NRI account in india and have normal resident savings accounts there. How should i transfer my inheritance and will i be taxed in india? My mother has an NRE account and it has been suggested that we deposit the amount into her account which she further transfers to my indian resident account as a gift. Nobody seems sure about any taxation liability i may incur if i transfer directly to my own resident account in india. Please help. :(

Return to “International Tax”