This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Unmarried couple 2 properties

Hambo1
Unmarried couple 2 properties

Postby Hambo1 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:34 pm

Hi,

I own a property A, my partner owns a property B which we live in.

We are unmarried but wish to sell property A, release equity from B and purchase another property. Unfortunately this will attract the 3% surcharge.

Are there any ways around this? Eg transfer ownership to my partner of property A, make it our main residence for a short period then sell it? I know this will result in some stamp duty paid as I have a mortgage. How would the SDLT be calculated on this?

We then would sell A and as we are replacing our main residence would pay SDLT at the normal rates on our new home C?

Many thanks

bd6759

Re: Unmarried couple 2 properties

Postby bd6759 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:29 am

You cannot turn a property into your residence by moving into it for a short period. Residence has a degree of permanence attached to it.

Return to “Stamp Duty, Stamp Duty Land Tax, SDLT”