This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

US Citizen living abroad - New IRS tax requirement

Scubagary
US Citizen living abroad - New IRS tax requirement

Postby Scubagary » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:11 am

Hi All,

And thanks in advance for your help.

I am a US Citizen that lived in the UK for 6 years and now Malta for 2.5 years. My income is from consulting internationally and no money comes from US, UK or Maltese companies. My bank just informed me of this new IRS requirement meant to target US Citizens with offshore accounts with w-9 or 1099.

Does this effect me and what is my next best steps? I make 200k per year from mainly a Russian company that does direct debit, and not in amounts under 10k.

Thanks again in advance!

King_Maker

Re: US Citizen living abroad - New IRS tax requirement

Postby King_Maker » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:45 pm

Unfortunately for US citizens, FATCA (Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act) has made it difficult to obtain/maintain offshore bank accounts - even where perfectly legal to do so.

Payment in US$ is probably best avoided.

DavidTreitel

Re: US Citizen living abroad - New IRS tax requirement

Postby DavidTreitel » Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:57 pm

As a US citizen you are probably already filing annual United States income tax returns, FBARs and other informational returns. FATCA does not change your personal obligations.

Return to “International Tax”