This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

VAT at 15% on Norton anti-virus invoice?

LMT
VAT at 15% on Norton anti-virus invoice?

Postby LMT » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:25 pm

doing a client's VAT - invoice for norton anti-virus with vat at 15% - and i thik ive seen this before on one of their invoices (though its actually only an order confirmation sheet ive got here) - any reason for them charging an old rate? think i may just not claim it anyway given ive not got a proper tax invoice *dons pedant hat*

robbob

Re: VAT at 15% on Norton anti-virus invoice?

Postby robbob » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:08 pm

Hello LMT

It's likely that Norton are based outside UK and therefore it's not uk vat being charged - possibly Luxembourg vat or something similar.

Generix

Postby Generix » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:17 pm

doing a client's VAT - invoice for norton anti-virus with vat at 15% - and i thik ive seen this before on one of their invoices (though its actually only an order confirmation sheet ive got here) - any reason for them charging an old rate? think i may just not claim it anyway given ive not got a proper tax invoice *dons pedant hat*
As robbob suggests, it will be lux VAT.

However this is not properly chargeable, as if your client is VAT registered -and therefore, I assume, carrying out an economic activity - then the supplier should not be charging your client lux VAT, instead your client should be self accounting for UK VAT.

You should get your client to contact Norton to inform them that they are VAT registered.

(The lux VAT is not recoverable on the UK VAT return)

*Note that usually the basic Norton package states something like 'not for commercial use' etc - i.e. it is aimed at private consumers - so may be an argument about whether your client is using the software outside of the EULA. [Never seen this argument run or raised except for when I raised it yself when working for a business who provided ESS services and had a snotty customer making ridiculous demands....so personally wouldn't expect this to be a problem - just thought I would throw it out there].
Do you adore to transfer your artistic and inventive qualities to renovate a part type? Perhaps your friends who tour your sanctuary head remarks about want they could levy you to change their premises.

LMT

Postby LMT » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:52 am

my client isnt the sort of person who'd want to spend time contacting them, alas. i bet most people wouldnt bother. i have a vague recollection of this being an issue last year but my boss said to just not claim any vat.

id not recommend norton to any of my clients anwyway but that's neither here nor there :roll:

thanks for the replies, i find this site so helpful when im stuck on something at work and as a general means of increasing and improving my knowledge of all things tax!

LMT

kalvinsmith

Postby kalvinsmith » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:08 am

I think you can view all the information about VAT on Norton antivirus invoice on Norton antivirus official website, there you can check all the information about all the offers, product and many other things

Lavender2306

Postby Lavender2306 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:41 am

my client isnt the sort of person who'd want to spend time contacting them, alas. i bet most people wouldnt bother. i have a vague recollection of this being an issue last year but my boss said to just not claim any vat.

id not recommend norton to any of my clients anwyway but that's neither here nor there :roll:

thanks for the replies, i find this site so helpful when im stuck on something at work and as a general means of increasing and improving my knowledge of all things tax!

LMT
I would try to recover this Lux VAT, if indeed this is the reason for 15%, via electronic cross border refund scheme.

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”