This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

VAT / CGT & Income Tax / Renovating Houses

JackSykes

Postby JackSykes » Thu Oct 09, 2003 8:09 am

Has anyone seen that programme on Channel 4 called 'Property Ladder' where they purchase & renovate a house with the intention of selling it at a profit?

At the end of the programme they usually say that any profit would be liable to tax. I was wondering what sort of tax would any profit made in this way be liable for?

Income tax or Capital Gains Tax?

If someone purchased a house with the intention of renovating & selling at a profit, would the person be required to become VAT registered?

peter@lavat.co.uk

Postby peter@lavat.co.uk » Thu Oct 09, 2003 8:35 am

Jack

I can help with regards to VAT.

The sale of a house (other than a new-build) is exempt from VAT so this will not eat into your profit. You will need to bear in mind however, that you will not be able to recover any of the VAT that you incur in the course of the renovation (on materials etc) or on professional fees so you will have to build this into your costs.

Kind regards

Peter
www.lavat.co.uk

spike419

Postby spike419 » Fri Oct 10, 2003 3:55 am

It will defintitly be Income Tax where there is an initial intention to make a profit. Norman wisdom and some chap with toilet rolls found out this !

xx213

Postby xx213 » Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:44 pm

I am considering using savings to buy a house, renovate it and then ssell at a profit. As I will be living there whilst I do this will I liable to CGT of IT as it will be my only and primary residence?

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”