This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

VAT Compliance

kentish
VAT Compliance

Postby kentish » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:29 pm

Hello, I am a business seller selling ink cartridges online most of them are old or used I pay my tax every year Recently I received a letter from Indv and Small Business Compliance asking me to register as a VAT business, I am not an experienced business person I don't know fully who or what vat is for nor that I had to register and pay 20% of my sales since I received a letter I read a lot about VAT unfortunately I went over the threshold for over a year which I didn't know what's a threshold and now I have to pay 20 % vat for this period plus fines. I have two questions :

-Can I use a flat scheme at this point or I am not allowed to?

-I can't find all my purchase receipts and most of the sellers that I bought from them the goods are not vat registered in fact most of them are not businesses they are just people who got rid of their junk, I have only few receipts to claim my input tax is there anything that I can do?
I would really appreciate any other advice about this matter
Thank you very much for your help.

pawncob

Re: VAT Compliance

Postby pawncob » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:41 pm

You don't qualify for the flat rate scheme. See 3.6.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... s#section3

You don't need receipts, just evidence that you paid for the goods.

I suggest you contact a local accountant to deal with this, as VAT for the layman (and many practitioners) is a nightmare.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Return to “Tax Investigations and Enquiries”