This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

VAT - conversion from business to residential

stootz
VAT - conversion from business to residential

Postby stootz » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:02 pm

HI,

I am currently buying a grade II listed building which has been used for offices since the 1960's. I believe that we can pay 5% VAT rather than 20% on any work being undertaken but I am struggling to convince plumbers, electricians etc. to only charge me 5% - how can I convince them. Also - how do I claim money back when I've paid 20% on tiles, or bathroom furniture etc?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

sam

les35

Re: VAT - conversion from business to residential

Postby les35 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:22 pm

The 5% rate only applies to purchases of services, not goods. If you intend to sell any of the units, you can claim (correctly charged) VAT.
But, proper paid-for advice is essential for such projects.

Chanmuganathan

Postby Chanmuganathan » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:43 pm

Reduced rates also apply for the supply of building material by contractors.

The ideal solution is having a single VAT registered contractor to do the construction/ or create one.

section 44

Postby section 44 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:15 pm

I am struggling to convince plumbers, electricians etc. to only charge me 5% - how can I convince them
Try referring them to section 7 of Notice 708

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”