This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

VAT Group registration

Mr Dell
VAT Group registration

Postby Mr Dell » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:55 pm

Would be grateful for assistance.

A small IT company has a subsidiary which owns and lets a couple of residential properties. At the moment the IT company is registered for VAT and its subsidiary is not. If I went for a group registration with the IT company and the property company, given that the turnover will be mainly from the IT company and the VAT recovery will be less than £625 on average per month from the residential company, would the group be able to recover the VAT on expenditure in the residential properties. I read somewhere it would be able to but just need confirmation as it is quite nifty tax planning point.

Thanks in advance.

Pete

les35

Re: VAT Group registration

Postby les35 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:59 am

Yes and no!
HMRC Notice 706 explains the Partial Exemption rules, and the £625 per month 'de minimis' limit. This is what you are referring to. This does provide a 'nifty tax planning point.' However, overhead input tax (legal fees, stationery, telephone bills, etc) also needs to be brought into the equation.

Mr Dell

Re: VAT Group registration

Postby Mr Dell » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:38 am

Hi Les,
Thanks for the reply, I understand the partial exemption rules and thanks for the reminder on the overhead (but its an IT contractor) so there is not much.
I just wanted to clarify to do this for a VAT group because then the client will be able to get the VAT back on purchases in the residential properties (which seems absurd) but it is what is and I am grateful for the clarification.

Pete

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”