This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Vat on Car Sale

Yiannis17
Vat on Car Sale

Postby Yiannis17 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:42 am

I have a situation whereby I have a car chauffeur who has just purchased a car under his business under HP and the vat element is claimed back through the next vat return. To purchase this car another car was sold elsewhere to a car dealer and he produced a sales receipt with no vat. Should the vat element of this sale which is quite high as the car proceeds were 40k have been offfste against the purchase of the new car?

Thank you

pawncob

Re: Vat on Car Sale

Postby pawncob » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:40 pm

With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

les35

Re: Vat on Car Sale

Postby les35 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:51 pm

The one off sale of a used car by the business falls within the margin scheme if he was not charged VAT on the original purchase. If he was charged VAT, then output tax is due at 20%.

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”