This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Vat on fuel card

Jhay100
Vat on fuel card

Postby Jhay100 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:33 pm

Hi. I'm currently a self employed courier working for a courier firm. I provide an invoice to them for my labour and business mileage (15p per mile). In return they invoice me for van rental, admin fees and use of a fuel card. I am not vat registered so cannot invoice the company for vat on my labour and fuel. They are vat registered and understandably charging me VAT. I'm a bit confused on the fuel part though. I recently filled up the van to a value of £86.00 but have been invoiced by the company for £86.00 + VAT. Is this correct? I feel that I'm paying VAT twice.

section 44

Re: Vat on fuel card

Postby section 44 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:08 pm

I recently filled up the van to a value of £86.00 but have been invoiced by the company for £86.00 + VAT. Is this correct? I feel that I'm paying VAT twice.
You might have been. Fuel cards work in different ways. What are the contractual arrangement between the fuel card company and the courier firm? Clearly if the courier firm is receiving a supply of fuel then it should be able to recover the VAT incurred and then charge you "plus VAT" on the "net" amount. Of course, if the courier firm is not receiving a supply of fuel then it would not be entitled to recover the VAT and therefore there would be a doubling up as you describe.

Return to “General”