This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

VAT on Hand Tool used for my trade?

bob10

Postby bob10 » Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:40 pm

HI all

Is it possible as an employee to reclaim vat charged on privately purchased Hand tools that I buy for use in my employment in my trade?

I am a motor mechanic and "yehaa" some of the hand tools we need to have in order to work on the new modern cars are very expensive.(spent about £4000 so far!)

I do have receipts(from legitimate tool companies!) for tools I have bought over the last 2 or 3 years? Does a normal tax code cover this and tax the taxman take this all into account?

I know it is possible to reclaim tax ect if items are purchased through a company that is VAT registered but all the companies I have worked for just don't want to know!

An answer in Laymans terms is much appreciated.
Many Thanks.

paultaylor@vatease.c

Postby paultaylor@vatease.c » Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:35 am

Bob,

A VAT registered company can reclaim VAT on purchases made in the course of its business if they are used to make supplies on which it charges VAT to its customers.

As an employee your supplies to your employer are not subject to VAT. You cannot therefore recover VAT on any of your purchases.

If you were to become self employed, you could register for VAT and charge VAT to the company you worked for. However, I would suggest that this is probably a little extreme.

Your employers are correct not to recover VAT on purchases made by you. As the supply was not made to them they are not entitled to recover the VAT.

Regards

Paul Taylor
http://www.vatease.co.uk/
0121 778 4299

TSL

Postby TSL » Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:01 am

Bob

If you can persuade the Inland Revenue that the tools were purchased 'wholly, exclusively & necessarily' in the performance of your employed duties you may be able to obtain tax relief on the cost of the tools purchased over the last 2-3 years. It is unlikely your tax code will have taken this into account.

The problem you face is in persuading the Inland Revenue that you did not purchase the tools as a matter of convenience to make your job easier. I say this as the Inland Revenue will expect employers to provide their employees with all tools necessary to do their job!!!

Given the amounts you have spent on the tools, it is worth while pursuing a tax relief claim, which I will happily do for you on a no win no fee type basis.

Jason Sharp
Taxation Solutions Limited
Tel: 0800 027 4533

sean236

Postby sean236 » Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:04 pm

hi, i have just received a flate rate job expenses allowance from the inland revenue
(i too work as a mechanic and have to purchase
my own tools, i have also spent thousands over
the years) well this allowance means that i can
earn an extra £100 a year tax free.
in real money terms this is worth £22 a year, or
£1.83 a month, or 42p a week.
what a joke!
i am supposed to buy, maintain and replace my tools with this!
it would probably just cover the cost of a pen a week forthe good old tax man.

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”