This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Vat on private tuition (via ltd company)

Sam1234
Vat on private tuition (via ltd company)

Postby Sam1234 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:40 pm

Hi All,
Thanks in advance for your help. I am director and employee (take salary) of Limited company. I provide private tuition for Maths and English (i.e. subjects commonly taught in school). I am not sure if my company should charge VAT from parents.

The HMRC link is
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... l-training

It says that
If the teacher is …a sole proprietor or member of a partnership the subject is one taught regularly in a number of schools or universities
And … the subject is one taught regularly in a number of schools or universities
Then …it is an exempt supply of private tuition

Mine is a limited company not a sole trader or member of a partnership.

Also does it mean that one has to pay 20% VAT followed by 20% Corporation tax followed by Income tax (approx. 35%).

GlobalTaxAdviser

Re: Vat on private tuition (via ltd company)

Postby GlobalTaxAdviser » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:36 pm

Hi

I think you maybe better off acting as a sole trader than Limited company. You will need to register for VAT if revenue is greater than 83K

Charging VAT will become a cost to the parents so may hit demand

VAT is charged to clients and then paid to HMRC

Corporation Tax is payable on the profits ( income less costs ) excluding any VAT

After Corporation tax is accounted for then dividends is payable at tax rates dependent on the amount taken out. You can take a small Salary as well which will save you Corporation Tax.

Kind Regards

GTA

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”