This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

vat on rent

wildkaye

Postby wildkaye » Tue Mar 30, 2004 5:03 am

i currently rent a commercial property but was recently informed that i should not be paying vat on top.
is this correct?
do landlords have the right to charge vat on rents?
afterall it is not classed as a luxury but a neccesity.
kind regards
kaye green

markingram@cta.org.u

Postby markingram@cta.org.u » Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:21 pm

VAT on property is a horribly complicated issue, but in this case it all depends upon how the landlord is treating the property and whether he has "elected to tax" the property.

asically this means that he can charge VAT on the rental payments. It would be worth checking this out with him.

If you would like mre advice, please contact me.

Mark Ingram
Charted Tax Adviser

markingram@cta.org.uk

davebrunt@collcap.co

Postby davebrunt@collcap.co » Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:07 am

We are a rugby club (registered for VAT )and are renting out our pitch and facilities to a cricket club for the summer. Should we charge them VAT? (They are non registered for VAT.)

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”