This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

vat reclaim on new home for employed

EAMON L

Postby EAMON L » Sat Nov 01, 2003 7:43 am

I am employed so have no need to complete a VAT return. So what is the procedure for reclaiming Vat on permanent fixtures & Fittings for my new home. (i.e. names of forms to be completed & timescale).

Ian McTernan CTA

Postby Ian McTernan CTA » Sun Nov 02, 2003 5:50 am

None that I know of. Usually you can register for VAT if you are self-building a new home and then you can reclaim VAT spent on materials, etc., but there is no relief that I know of for permanent fixtures and fittings when buying a house.

Sorry to disappoint you!

Ian McTernan CTA
McTernan Associates Ltd
ian@imcternan.com
McTernan Associates Ltd
Chartered Tax Advisers
Bedford
Email through link on website:
http://www.imcternan.com

paultaylor@vatease.c

Postby paultaylor@vatease.c » Mon Nov 03, 2003 1:43 am

If you have built a new house from scratch (or converted a previously commercial building into a residential one) you can reclaim VAT on certain materials and services, including some fixtures and fittings incorporated into the building. This can be done on via the DIY builders Scheme. You can order a Scheme pack from Customs on their national advice line, 0845 010 9000.

In general though, VAT is not reclaimable on anything unless it is for use in a VAT registered business.

Regards

Paul Taylor
http://www.vatease.co.uk/

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”