This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

VAT registered but not in business?

Alfred1947
VAT registered but not in business?

Postby Alfred1947 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:43 pm

Hello,

I hope I'm asking this question in the right place. I am worried about my friend as he is VAT registered (According to the VIES website), but he nor his partner have any business interests and are spending like there's no tomorrow - I am worried that they'll end up in trouble. He is registered under a GB VAT number in his own name and address. Is there any way of finding out what he is trading as or doesn't he have to be in business? to be VAT registered (he works full time for the Inland Revenue as an employee).

Kind regards,
Alfred.

les35

Re: VAT registered but not in business?

Postby les35 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:07 am

There is a real problem is if he is claiming VAT on his VAT Returns. If so, and he is not in business (including setting up a business), then he will be subject to severe penalties, especially given his Employer!

section 44

Re: VAT registered but not in business?

Postby section 44 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:35 am

he nor his partner have any business interests
Do you know this or are you speculating?

Do you understand what a business is?

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”