This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

VAT-subcontracting-new builds homes

sairu5
VAT-subcontracting-new builds homes

Postby sairu5 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:26 pm

Hello

I'm starting a small subcontracting business in construction. At the moment we have LTD. company that receives money and then pays to our self-employed bricklayers. We do direct work for main brickwork contractor on site. Most of our work is done for residential developers - new homes.

We earn extra money on difference between rates paid by main contractor to us, and what we pay to our bricklayers.

Questions:

As we build new homes are we qualify for zero-rate VAT?

We will need register for VAT very soon. I am afraid we will lose business to other self-employed bricklayers that do not need to charge VAT and we do not have where to offset this VAT.

Do you have any ideas how to make it work?

Thank you for help

les35

Re: VAT-subcontracting-new builds homes

Postby les35 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:32 pm

If you are building new homes, your services are zero rated. So, when you register for VAT, you are better off, as you will be able to reclaim input tax.

RMC

Postby RMC » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:59 pm

For exactly what qualifies for zero-rating, see section 3 Zero-rating the construction of new buildings of VAT Notice 708. Ensure that your invoices give full details of work done, and that where necessary you receive from the customer an appropriate certificate.

It may be advantageous to backdate VAT registration.

les35

Postby les35 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:28 am

And you might even look at the rules for Self-Billing; https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... lf-billing

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:15 pm

You might also look at the HMRC rules for determining Self Employment. (and be prepared to employ your brickies)
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:16 pm

And register for C.I.S.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”