This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

VAT on Vehicle Road Fund Licence

hollis
VAT on Vehicle Road Fund Licence

Postby hollis » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:36 am

Hi

Wonder if anyone can help.

I am having an argument with a vehicle rental company that I have rented a car from for 6 weeks.

In my final bill they have listed a line as Government Road Fund Licence and charged VAT on it. The billed amount also has a profit margin built into it because when pro-rating it up to 365 days I know the Road Fund Licence is not as much as I am being charged!

On the last new car I bought, the Road Fund Licence and Govt 1st Registration Fee did not have VAT charged against them so I dont understand why I am being charged VAT on the Road Fund Licence for this transaction?

Thanks

Kitty Kat

Re: VAT on Vehicle Road Fund Licence

Postby Kitty Kat » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:17 pm

Hi

Wonder if anyone can help.

I am having an argument with a vehicle rental company that I have rented a car from for 6 weeks.

In my final bill they have listed a line as Government Road Fund Licence and charged VAT on it. The billed amount also has a profit margin built into it because when pro-rating it up to 365 days I know the Road Fund Licence is not as much as I am being charged!

On the last new car I bought, the Road Fund Licence and Govt 1st Registration Fee did not have VAT charged against them so I dont understand why I am being charged VAT on the Road Fund Licence for this transaction?

Thanks
When it comes to buying a car it depends on the 'package' you are buying. If you agree £1,000 for a car including the RFL then all £1,000 is VAT'able. If you instead agree to pay £900 for a car without a RFL and ask the seller to provide you with one seperatly then VAT is only charged on the £900.

I am not sure, but perhaps a similar situation applies to rentals? Surely ALL rental cars would fall into case 1 of course, I for one wouldn't rent a car for 6 weeks without a RFL (or agree to buy one)!
My keeness to show knowledge can sometimes exceed my actual knowledge, therefore treat what I say as advice only.

Generix

Postby Generix » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:20 pm

Agree with Kitty, but am confused as to why it would be listed seperately?!
Do you adore to transfer your artistic and inventive qualities to renovate a part type? Perhaps your friends who tour your sanctuary head remarks about want they could levy you to change their premises.

hollis

Postby hollis » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:35 pm

Yes well its been muddied by the fact that it was a suprise to see the line on the bill - I thought I was renting a car for a fixed price to cover all costs.

I see no reason why they would rent me a car that wasnt taxed so surely its resonable to expect this to be included in the price

And yes, showing the charge on a separate line is just confusing - this is a well-known high street brand by the way !

Kitty Kat

Postby Kitty Kat » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:42 pm

Yes well its been muddied by the fact that it was a suprise to see the line on the bill - I thought I was renting a car for a fixed price to cover all costs.

I see no reason why they would rent me a car that wasnt taxed so surely its resonable to expect this to be included in the price

And yes, showing the charge on a separate line is just confusing - this is a well-known high street brand by the way !
Based on my understanding of the VAT on purchasing a car I would say it is correct they have charged VAT on your RFL rental, effectively you have bought a rental package which included the RFL from them.
My keeness to show knowledge can sometimes exceed my actual knowledge, therefore treat what I say as advice only.

Generix

Postby Generix » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:06 pm

I assume its to avoid a breach of some sort of advertising law or something;

e.g. maybe they advertise, rental vehicles from £20 a week, when if fact thats excluding certain extras, like wheels, road tax, engine, fuel, seat, steering wheel etc. ;)

I agree its probably right they charge VAT on the road tax - I assume their VAT officer would have picked up on such a fundamental error otherwise.
Do you adore to transfer your artistic and inventive qualities to renovate a part type? Perhaps your friends who tour your sanctuary head remarks about want they could levy you to change their premises.

Martinrichardson

Postby Martinrichardson » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:31 pm

This relates to the difference between disbursements and recharges.

The company bought a Vehicle Road Fund Licence for use in its business. As such it recharges that cost to you on a prorated basis and must charge VAT on this item.

When you buy a new car, the dealer buys a Vehicle Road Fund Licence on your behalf for you to use on your new car. This is not intended to be used in their business, so is a disbursement and is passed to you with no VAT charged on it.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/managing/cha ... ements.htm

My guess is they advertise a low rate 'rental' but forget to mention that this does not include all the little extra recharges they add on once you come to pay.

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”