This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Savings Tax - Do I have to declare anything, if so how?

iameuanmackay
Savings Tax - Do I have to declare anything, if so how?

Postby iameuanmackay » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:19 pm

Hi there

I'm relatively new here and have a bit of a query around declaring earnings on interest (ha!) I received on my savings. Until now I have not (knowingly) declared anything to HMRC as I was under the impression everything happened automatically via the interest that is paid (in as much as it's net interest rather than gross), but have just been spooked into thinking this may not be the case.

Do I need to declare anything in terms of my savings (all with a UK bank - First Direct - in either ISAs or Savings Accounts)? Are there exemption levels?

If I do, how would I start going about that?

Hopefully this is enough to go on. I'd appreciate any advice you can give.

Many thanks
Euan

mullet

Re: Savings Tax - Do I have to declare anything, if so how?

Postby mullet » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:59 pm

Do you complete self assessment tax returns?
Are you liable to tax at basic rate or higher rate?

JRG

Re: Savings Tax - Do I have to declare anything, if so how?

Postby JRG » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:54 pm

You don't need to declare your ISA interest as it's tax free.

You don't need to declare your Savings interest if you receive it net and if you are a basic rate taxpayer. However, if your non-savings taxable income is less than £2,440 (for 2010-11), you would be entitled to a refund of tax, as the first £2,440 of savings income is chargeable at 10% (and not the 20% that banks actually deduct). In this case use the R40 form to reclaim the overpayment.

Return to “General”