This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Cash Gifts from Family Members Abroad

KarenF
Cash Gifts from Family Members Abroad

Postby KarenF » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:24 am

Are large cash gifts from family members (parents) living abroad subject to any kind of taxation? Does it depend on where they live?

King_Maker

Re: Cash Gifts from Family Members Abroad

Postby King_Maker » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:07 am

There should not be any UK tax implications - but could be in their tax jurisdiction.

You might want to retain all supporting paperwork, in case HMRC make any enquiries at a later date.

maths

Postby maths » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:47 pm

Is the property gifted in the UK or not?

Peter D

Postby Peter D » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:13 pm

"large cash gifts " I do not think property comes into it. Regards Peter

maths

Postby maths » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:26 pm

The term "property" is being used to refer to anything which can be owned and thus extends to both real and personal property; the latter includes "cash".

KarenF

Postby KarenF » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:39 pm

Sorry about my hiatus. The money has been transferred from a foreign bank to a UK account. It is from my retired in-laws and my husband's parents.

maths

Postby maths » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:31 pm

If the foreign account is that of the donor and the UK account that of the donee, then no UK IHT (whether non-UK IHT is a matter for their country of residence).

pqtaxation

Postby pqtaxation » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:39 pm

The money has been transferred from a foreign bank ... from my retired in-laws and my husband's parents.
Are "my retired in-laws and my husband's parents" the same 2 people.

If so, is it clear that neither is UK domiciled?

KarenF

Postby KarenF » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:09 pm

Hi PQ,

I think I got the answer above. But yes they are the same people: never been UK domiciled. I recall there is a limit (perhaps 3K if my memory serves me?) for parents within the UK, with the possibility to roll over the immediate past year if no gift was made then without incurring IHT, but for non-UK domiciled there appears not to be any such limit. That is great.

pqtaxation

Postby pqtaxation » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:46 pm

.. .. they are the same people: never been UK domiciled. I recall there is a limit .. within the UK .... but for non-UK domiciled there appears not to be any such limit.
Yes, as your parents in law have never been UK domiciled, there should be no IHT aspect in the circumstances you describe; but it was not clear from your pre-penultimate posts if your p-i-l had been UK domiciled (and maybe still are - hence the clarification) though had moved abroad for retirement.

Return to “Income Tax”