This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

second income

colinz
second income

Postby colinz » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:26 pm

As an expatriate I currently have a tax code of NT and do not pay uk income tax. I have recently taken a pension from a previous employer and the tax office has given me a code of D0 on the pension and taking 40% of the pension is this correct? Is there anyway that I can get NT status on the pension too?

pawncob

Re: second income

Postby pawncob » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:28 pm

With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

nikkisizer

Postby nikkisizer » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:56 am

Hello colinz,

As pointed out by pawncob, UK Pensions are subject to UK tax but as an Expatriate you will still be entitled to the UK personal allowance.

If tax on your pension is being deducted at the rate of 40% and it is your only source of income from the UK then it is very likely that you will have overpaid in tax.

After performing the tax calculation at the end of the tax year any overpayment can be claimed back from HMRC.

Happy to help if required so if you need any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.
Kind regards,

Nikki Sizer

Sizer & Co Accountants
nikki@sizeraccountants.com
[url]http://www.sizeraccountants.com[/url]

Birmingham - London - Manchester - Leeds

colinz

Postby colinz » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:57 pm

After a few months with HMRC they now agree that my main salary is NT and that as pointed out the pension I am drawing is my only income in the UK so I can have a proper tax code as opposed to the D0. My question is, I have over paid for the last few months and doubt very much it would be paid back automatically, what form do I need to fill to reclaim the over payment?

King_Maker

Postby King_Maker » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:15 pm

I assume you have checked the relevant Double Tax Treaty for pension taxability?

colinz

Postby colinz » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:49 pm

enlighten me please

King_Maker

Postby King_Maker » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:18 pm

Apart from pensions for government officials etc, a UK pension is often taxable in the resident State - NOT the UK.

The relevant Treaty, if any, needs to be consulted to ascertain the position.

So where do you reside?

colinz

Postby colinz » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:06 am

Thats not a problem here in Nigeria, they have all on taxing themselves. Thanks for the info though

Return to “Income Tax”