This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

How to obtain a Unique Taxpayer Reference Number (UTR) if you dont have an address?

fishie_bubble

Postby fishie_bubble » Tue May 24, 2005 8:22 pm

I am from Australia but worked in the UK for approx 5 months.

In this time I held 2 different jobs and received a P45.

I would now like to make a tax claim or self assessment (what ever you want to call it) but after attempting to register so that I can do a self assessment online, the website (www.hmrc.gov.uk) tells me that I need a UTR in order to register.

My problem is, that I do not have one on any documentation I posses. Their site says that I will find it on my Tax Return, a
Notice to complete a Tax Return or on my Statement of Account.

I do not have ANY of these documents and I do not know where I am supposed to get it from. Are those documents something that would normaly be posted to you?

Inland Revenue never had a home address for me, so what am I supposed to do to obtain this 10 digit UTR number if it cant be posted?

Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

Leanne :-)

AA UK

Postby AA UK » Wed May 25, 2005 12:26 am

I'd just download a blank tax return off the internet and mail it to them since calling may well be expensive...

CDavey9501@aol.com

Postby CDavey9501@aol.com » Wed May 25, 2005 1:31 am

If you were not self-employed then you do not need to file a tax return to make a repayment claim. The 'easiest' way of making the claim is to complete and file a form R40. The Revenue are however also likely to ask you to complete a P85 (leaving the UK) and form P86 (arrival in the UK).

CDavey9501@aol.com

Postby CDavey9501@aol.com » Wed May 25, 2005 1:33 am

One other thing. The forms should be ent to your last employer's tax office. Probably best to put a covering note for clarity.

SK

Postby SK » Fri May 27, 2005 2:03 am

Form R40 should not be required as form P85(S), for non UK citizens who are leaving UK after completing a work assignment, asks for the P45's and also asks where repayment should be made to.

Download the form from the HMRC website, as suggested by CDavey, and submit the form(s) to the tax office, which is denoted by a three digit reference number on the top of your P45, something like 518/Pxxxx, and use the following link to find out which tax office the three digit reference refers to, http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/local/individuals/index.htm

Simon.

fishie_bubble

Postby fishie_bubble » Sun May 29, 2005 3:16 pm

Thank you very much Simon, this has been most helpful.

So if I go to that URL you provided and enter in my 3 digit number - Is this the address where I need to be posting my P85(S)?

The actual form doesnt actually indicate on it where it needs to be posted to once completed.

In Australia, we post our tax return forms to one central address, but im guessing this is not the case for the UK?

Return to “Income Tax”