This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT on selling rental property

archie99

Postby archie99 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:11 am

I need some advice on the following:
I bought a flat for £50K in Jan 1994. It was my primary residence until I took ou a Let to buy mortgage on the flat for £123K in Oct 2002, and moved into a house.
If I sell it for £180K, What is my potential CGT liability, as I understand I can take into account my period of primary residency and the last 3 years.
Any info greatly appreciated. Thanks

deanshepherd

Postby deanshepherd » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:16 am

A combination of main residence relief and lettings relief means you will no have CGT to pay if you sell within the next few years.

Dean Shepherd
dean.shepherd@mmi-online.co.uk
MMI Accountancy
www.mmi-online.co.uk

billytf

Postby billytf » Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:35 pm

in addition to archies question could someone confirm the following for me please?

purchased a flat in 2000 for 80k. it was my primary residece until 2003 when i moved abroad and rented the flat.

if i sell in 2010 for 160k, i have understood the following to be correct (different sources have given me different answers, hence clarification requested from a trusted source!)

80k capital gains over 10 years. six years free due to 3 years primary residence and 3 years free after.

therefore, four years CGT applies on 32k (2/5 of 80k), however, 40k is free, therefore no CGT to pay?

i hope someone can clarify

thanks

deanshepherd

Postby deanshepherd » Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:17 am

Probably true but not necessarily.

Lettings relief is restricted to a maximum of

i) £40k
ii) The amount of PPR claimed (6 yrs)
iii) The gain attributable to letting

It is likely that you will not have CGT to pay but the £40k is a maximimum threshold not an automatic allowance.

Dean Shepherd
dean.shepherd@mmi-online.co.uk
MMI Accountancy
www.mmi-online.co.uk

billytf

Postby billytf » Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:11 am

ok, thanks very much for the info

MB976

Postby MB976 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:08 pm

CAPITAL GAINS TAX CONFUSION

Hi, can someone please shed some light on this issue of mine as I would be very grateful indeed..

I have a second house bought in 2001 for £60k. It was bought with a £45K buy-to-let mortgage. The value of the house is now at £120K and my mortgage is approx £40K.

My salary is £31,750 a year.

My Problem is this.. I want to SELL this house and take the equity & capital gain to buy another house.

I understand since I bought the house, it has increased by £60K. (minus my CGT allowance 9K = £51K)

So is my CGT based on £51K?

Do I have to pay 40% CGT on £51K? If not, what percentage will the CGT be?

If I remortgage the house so that I have a bigger loan, then sell the house will this be a way of significantly reducing the CGT to pay?

Could I live in this house for more than 6 months and claim "main residence"? what are my benefits this way? Wud I be able to get away with paying any CGT?

I heard that if I 'sell' this house to buy another Buy-To-Let property, then I will not have pay CGT, is this TRUE???

your help on this matter will be greatly appreciated...

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”