This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Tax implication returning to same company after redundancy

frenjd

Postby frenjd » Fri May 09, 2008 5:48 am

Hi,

I worked for a company for just under 2 years. I took voluntary redundancy in January and received 1 months salary for each year I worked there (22 months) plus an enhancement of 6 months salary if I left before February, which I did.

I received my pay off tax free as it was under the £30,000 limit.

I was recently offered a post back there as a self-employed contractor before they realised company policy would not allow me to return until a period of 6 months had elapsed.

They have told me that there is a very good chance of me still taking the role in August once the 6 months is up.

My friend has advised me that I may have to pay tax on my previous tax free pay off as I am returning to the same company less than a year after leaving, even though I will not be an employee of the company (self-employed).

He has advised me of this as a colleague took early retirement in November last year and was also offered a self-employed role this week but had to turn it down because he would have had to pay tax on his previous pay off.

The question is, would I have to pay tax on my previous tax free, lump sum redundancy if I return to the same company after 6 months but work for myself on a self-employed basus ?

Thanks

Simon Sweetman

Postby Simon Sweetman » Fri May 09, 2008 6:23 am

In theory the answer is no - you have not got your post back. That though is only true if you are genuinely self employed, and in the circumstances that seems dubious - if you are only going to work for one company who you worked for before I would have doubts about your status and would want to be sure about that before "going back".

Return to “Income Tax”