This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

What happens if I put too much into my private pension?

dowles
What happens if I put too much into my private pension?

Postby dowles » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:14 pm

Hi

What happens if you overpay into your private pension. For example let's assume you anticipate an income of £20,000 for the current tax year which would enable you to contribute £16,000 to a private pension and receive tax relief of £4,000. Now let's assume you made the entire contribution of £16.000 on 5 April 2016 and then subsequently something went wrong and by the end of that tax year you had only actually earned £10,000 so could only have contributed £8,000 to the pension. What happens here - do you pay the additional £2,000 back via your tax return? does the additional £8,000 remain in your pension or does it have to come back out?

Thanks

LozaACCS

Re: What happens if I put too much into my private pension?

Postby LozaACCS » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:46 am

It is normally collected through the tax return, alternatively the Scheme administrator can be asked to pay it, the original contribution is not affected

dowles

Re: What happens if I put too much into my private pension?

Postby dowles » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:37 pm

Thanks that makes sense

Return to “Savings & Investments, Pensions & Retirement”