This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

When share dealing becomes trading

WATT
When share dealing becomes trading

Postby WATT » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:31 pm

I wish to trade shares - buying one or two holdings at the beginning of each month, holding them for that month only and re-investing the proceeds in another share or shares and so on each month. I would start with a capital base of approx £80,000. Irrespective of any gains the size of the capital deployed would require me to file a Capital Gains Tax Return, I assume. The question that occurs is whether the Revenue would view these transactions as trading. This issue must have been raised before but I could not find anything on your website covering it. I should say that being early-retired I have no income source other than the interest currently earned on the sum mentioned above. If - when I declared these dealings in my tax return - the Revenue did decide I was trading what would be the ramifications ? Would I for instance be penalised for not having first told them I was trading ? Presumably the tax on any income earned would be broadly similar to Capital Gains tax under the new CGT regime but at what stage would I begin to have to pay compulsory NI ? There is a further issue : I have for the past several years been spending more than six months out of the UK. Until now I have not given any thought to the tax implications of this and I continue to consider myself UK domiciled for all purposes. Before embarking on my share dealing enterprise, would it be tax advantageous to declare myself non-resident and what would the consequences be - in terms of tax, pension credit, NHS treatment - should I return to the UK on a permanent basis ? I look forward to hearing from you.

robbob

Re: When share dealing becomes trading

Postby robbob » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:40 pm

I wish to trade shares - buying one or two holdings at the beginning of each month, holding them for that month only and re-investing the proceeds in another share or shares and so on each month.
The revenue do not consider share dealing on anything similar to this small scale/nature as trading.
Further details here
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/bimmanual/BIM65701.htm

Return to “General”