This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Which property is our PPR

kjws

Postby kjws » Wed Jun 11, 2003 11:59 pm

My husband & I bought a second home due to his working away. He lives there during the week. The children and I visit at weekends and school holidays. We are likely to sell this place in the next 2 years but retain our previous family home. We have currently owned it for less than 2 years. Can we legitimately register this for our PPR allowance?

demetris

Postby demetris » Thu Jun 12, 2003 12:28 am

I suggest you lodge a claim with the taxman to nominate the first property as your PPR and then reverse it by nominating the second as your PPR. Shortly afterwards you nominate back the first as your PPR. By doing that, you ensure that any gain on the sale of the second is exempt from CGT for the last 3 years of ownership.

Demetris Savva BA FCCA
http://www.tax-accounting-london.info
FREE Special Report on how to save tax when you subscribe to FREE tax and business advice newsletters.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”