This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Will I get my PAYE Tax back?

Rwarke1
Will I get my PAYE Tax back?

Postby Rwarke1 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:14 pm

Hi All,

My question is about the P800 form.

I had previously paid tax through PAYE (total of £1,081.20 on earnings of £7,296) over the course of the tax year 15/16. Since around August 2015 I have been self employed and will submit a self-assessment in Jan 2017. My question is whether HMRC will give me the £1,081 tax back in through the P800 system, as my earnings were below the lower tax threshold, or if I need to wait till Jan 2017 to claim this back on my self assessment?

Let me know if more information is needed.

Thanks,

Jack

nikkisizer

Re: Will I get my PAYE Tax back?

Postby nikkisizer » Sun May 22, 2016 8:04 am

Hi Jack,

Assuming you are registered for self assessment, you will not receive a P800 form from HMRC for the tax year in question.

Any tax refund due will be taken into account when the tax calculation is performed for your self assessment tax return submission.

Your 2015/16 tax return will have been issued to you from HMRC on 06 April 2016 and you can submit this now if you wish, you do not need to wait until the filing deadline of 31 January 2017.

Happy to help if required so if you need any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.
Kind regards,

Nikki Sizer

Sizer & Co Accountants
nikki@sizeraccountants.com
[url]http://www.sizeraccountants.com[/url]

Birmingham - London - Manchester - Leeds

JRG

Re: Will I get my PAYE Tax back?

Postby JRG » Mon May 30, 2016 2:23 pm

For 2015/16 your total income consists of your PAYE income plus your self-employed income (plus any other income source). Your taxable income is your total income less your personal allowance.

Therefore, whether you get your PAYE tax back in full, or in part, or not at all, will be determined by the amount of your self-employed income. If your total income exceeds your personal allowance then your PAYE tax will be included in your total tax due calculation.

When you complete your 2015/16 tax return you will need to enter two employments, one for your PAYE job with your finish date, and one for your self-employed job with your start date, together with the appropriate figures for each.

As Nikkisizer advised, you should complete your 2015/16 tax return asap so that you know whether you're due a refund, or due to make a payment.

Return to “HMRC Administration, Practices & Methods”